Ever wondered what it means to Biohack? Our friends at Prime Self share some knowledge and tips to get you started, dive in below:
For more about Prime Self, please visit: www.shoporganic.co.za/primeself
While biohacking may seem like a technical concept, it’s actually an easy topic to understand. Biohacking simply means to make lifestyle changes to ensure you feel better. The majority of people biohack to have an improved sense of health and wellness, transform their body, or to feel more energized. Here, we discuss biohacking in further depth and consider how to get started with varying biohacks.
What is Biohacking?
Biohacking involves making changes to your overall lifestyle to ‘hack’ your body’s biology and have a better sense of well-being. This doesn’t mean making experiments on your body. Simply put, biohacking involves trying different ‘hacks’ to determine which works best for you. For instance, if you’ve ever heard the saying “you are what you eat” you’ll know that what we consume (food, physical activity, mental processes) has an effect on our bodies in terms of mood and behaviour.
The good news is that you don’t require tools to get started with biohacking. Depending on which biohacks you wish to try, making small adjustments to your life can make a positive difference on your well-being.
How to Get Started with Biohacking
There are a multitude of ways you can get started with biohacking. Consider what areas of your body/health you are looking to improve. It takes time and effort for biohacking to be successful – you may wish to try a few biohacks and see which one’s work for your body. Take a look at some of the most popular biohacks below;
Eliminating sugar from your diet can be one of the most satisfying biohacks. There are several reasons why sugar is bad for your health. Here’s why you might want to avoid refined sugar in your diet;
• Sugar enhances weight gain – research studies have demonstrated that those who drink sugary drinks weigh more than those who don’t.1 Additionally, consuming fructose (a type of sugar) increases your appetite more than glucose (sugar found is starchy foods).2
• High sugar diets can increase your risk of heart disease due to increases in inflammation, blood sugar and blood pressure levels.3
• Diets high in refined carbohydrates and sugar may increase the risk of developing acne. A research study of 2300 teenagers found that those who regularly consumed sugar had a 30% higher risk of getting acne.4
• Too much sugar is the number one risk for diabetes.5
Eliminating refined sugars in drinks, processed foods, sweets and chocolates will help you to maintain better health. Remember, sugar is often added to many foods so it’s best to check all food labels if you plan on eliminating sugar. Eating fruit in moderation is a great alternative to eating candy.
If you wish to biohack your mind, consuming nootropics may be the answer. Nootropics are supplements that help your brain to produce specific chemicals to enhance your focus, memory and overall cognitive functioning. Popular nootropics include;
• Racetams – these include piracetam, oxiracetam and aniracetam, which help to boost memory, concentration, mood and energy. Racetams can also enhance the rate of cell regrowth while decreasing the rate of deterioration.
• Peptides – one of the most popular peptide nootropics is noopept. This nootropic has a high bioavailability and is said to be 1000 times more potent than piracetam. It aids memory, brain energy, alertness, and learning.
• Choline – these nootropics are often stacked with racetams for optimal benefits. Alpha GPC and citicholine are two types of this nootropic which are often used for enhanced cognitive functioning.
• Natural nootropics – these include Ginkgo Biloba and Huperzine-A. Natural nootropics may be less effective than their synthetic counterparts, but they can be stacked with other nootropics for added benefits.
Eat the right nutrients
Eliminating certain foods will help you to improve your overall health and wellness. This biohack is very effective if you struggle with food allergies or an intolerance. Additionally, if you suffer from fatigue or eczema, an elimination diet can really improve your health issues. To undertake this biohack, start by eliminating known allergens – gluten, dairy and wheat are three substances that can irritate your body. Eliminate these foods for three weeks and then gradually re-introduce them slowly to see how your body responds. If you feel a food is irritating your body, eliminate it completely and find an alternative. For instance, if you have an intolerance to dairy, try using coconut or almond milk instead.
This type of intermittent fasting involves eating all your daily food in a shorter time window. This method can aid weight loss, aid lower levels of inflammation, increase immunity and improve heart health. Eating your daily calories in one eight-hour window gives you a longer fasting period, enabling your body to burn more fat and maintain your weight. For example, you may choose to have a later breakfast and early dinner. You don’t have to complete time-restricted eating every day. Four to five days is enough to prove health benefits.
Get more sleep
Sleep is vital for improving your health. This biohack requires at least 8 to 9 hours sleep per night. Better sleep will ensure you have more energy, an improved mood and enhanced immune system. To get a better night’s sleep, keep a regular sleep schedule, eliminate phones and tv from your bedroom and avoid eating before you go to sleep.
Meditation is a great biohack for feeding your mind. Meditation helps to improve your mood, increase sleep, improve productivity, relieve stress and relax your body. Guided meditation is often the best option for those new to meditation – there are several apps and YouTube videos that can help you to get started.
Biohacking is a highly effective solution for improving your overall health and wellness. Whether you wish to lose weight, improve your focus or raise your energy levels, finding the best biohack for your health needs will help you on the right track to a better you.