Do you often wonder about the difference between chemical and mineral sunscreens? Our friends at SUNUMBRA helped to explain:
When applying chemical sunscreens one should be sure to:
- Apply 30 minutes before going out in the sun, thus allowing enough time for proper absorption
- Apply last after moisturizers and foundations as some water based formulations may cause sunscreen to break down
- Re-apply 30 minutes after being in the sun
- Sunscreens can come off through sweating, rubbing and washing, so frequent reapplication is strongly recommended
When applying a mineral sunscreen however, the following applies:
Mineral sunscreens (ZnO and TiO2 based) are:
- effective immediately as they essentially do not need to be absorbed into the skin to be effective, like chemical ones do
- not affected by possible water based formulations in moisturisers or foundations, only chemical sunscreens may be affected
- not required to be reapplied after 30 minutes as they are very stable
All sunscreens should be applied daily. Research has shown that daily use of a low SPF (15) sunscreen is better for preventing skin damage than using a higher SPF less frequently.
8 further reasons to choose natural sunscreen over chemical sunscreen:
1 - Organic and natural ingredients have a wonderful smell, there is no added toxic fragrance needed.
2 - Natural sunscreens contain no unnatural polymers (which act like plastic on the skin and prevent it from breathing) for water resistance.
3 - Many of the organic plant extracts used in natural sunscreens can provide anti-oxidants, the good guys when it comes to skin cell repair, protection against damage by free-radicals and toxins in the atmosphere and the elimination of chemical reactions.
4 - All ingredients in natural sunscreens are put there for the direct benefits they provide, these sunscreens require no fillers to counteract any negative chemical reactions.
5 - Synthetic colourants used in chemical sunscreens are toxic, the natural colourants in natural sunscreens are not.
6 - By switching to non-toxic sunscreen with added organic ingredients, you may be able to boost your skin health and reverse some existing sun damage!
7 - Natural sunscreens do not contain mineral oils or petrochemicals which trap toxins, disrupt hormonal function, steal magnesium from the nervous system and bones, absorb the oil soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and excrete them, clog up skin pores and slow the growth of skin cells.
8 - The natural and organic preservatives found in natural sunscreens do not damage your health. Natural sunscreens do not use parabens which could be carcinogenic and are endocrine disruptors, which mimick estrogen and so upset hormonal balance.
Information and guidelines from SUNUMBRA, more information here: http://www.simplysunscreen.com/
Visit the SUNUMBRA profile on shoporganic here: www.shoporganic.co.za/sunumbra
SUNUMBRA is a 100% natural sunscreen with organic ingredients and a core purpose to make a difference in people's lives as well as the environment.